This healthy holiday cornbread is gluten-free, dairy-free, perfectly sweet, moist and full of flavor! Made with nutrient-rich ingredients like millet, zucchini and turmeric, this corn-free alternative is the perfect side dish for your seasonal feasts. (Serving: 9).
- 1¼ cups millet, soaked (250g)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk or milk of choice
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- ¼ cup white or black chia seeds, ground
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup almond flour (24g)
- ¼ cup vegan butter, melted (57g)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Soak millet in a medium bowl with enough water to cover it. Let it soak uncovered at room temperature for at least 2 hours. When done rinse and drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly oil 8×8 square baking dish.
- Combine the coconut milk (or milk of choice) and lemon juice in a small bowl. Stir together and let sit for 5 minutes, until the milk curdles. This will create the buttermilk.
- Add the soaked millet, buttermilk, chopped zucchini, almond flour, chia seeds, ground flaxseeds, melted butter, turmeric and sugar into a food processor or high speed blender.
- Process until all is fully combined and completely pureed. Once batter is ready, mix in the baking soda and pour into baking dish.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Allow cornbread to cool for about 15-20 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!
Elena Wilkie of La Quinta creates real food recipes with simple ingredients that are gluten-free and deliciously healthy. She can be reached at [email protected] For more recipes, visit www.afoodiesbliss.com. Instagram and Pintrest @afoodiesbliss.