Receive our e-newsletter:
The Valley’s Leading Resource for Health and Wellness

May/June 2013

Desert HealthGrant Supports Expansion of Angel View’s Day Program

Desert Healthcare District offices

The Directors of the Desert Healthcare District approved a grant award of $201,440 to Angel View, Inc. that will increase enrollment capacity in their Day Program from 45 clients to 75. Funding from the District enables Angel View to cover operating losses that the organization will incur when they increase Read more…

Through the GenerationsLQHS Medical Health Academy Seeking Internship Opportunities

La Quinta High School Medical Health Academy (MHA) is showing great results in graduating seniors! Of our 2012 graduate class, 100% graduated, 98% have pursued college and the other 2% the military. Of that 100%, we had 44% of the students accepted into a four-year university. The remaining students are Read more…

Through the GenerationsLittle Yogis: Yoga’s Many Benefits for Kids

Witnessing children striking yoga poses is more than just cute; it can be the catalyst to a lifelong practice. Parents and schools are becoming aware that yoga benefits children physically, mentally, and soulfully. The practice is orienting children to a discipline that is rejuvenating for the body and soul.  Yoga Read more…

Financial HealthMaking Your Dreams Your Reality

It takes a lot of hard-nosed work to fulfill your dreams. And we’re not just talking about the years of employment you put in to afford your dreams. We mean converting your dream into a plan to make those dreams come true. The first step is to recognize the difference Read more…

Financial HealthInsurance for Medical Professionals: Are You Covered?

Simplifying insurance is like simplifying medicine; it’s no easy task. As a medical professional, you can ask your patient a handful of questions that may flag a potentially serious problem, and then order diagnostic testing as needed. Likewise, you or your insurance agent should ask the proper questions to identify Read more…

FitnessAge is Simply a Number

Erich Obst, 65 Erich is an 18-year Palm Desert resident who just completed the 2013 “Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon.”  Known as one of the toughest competitions of its kind, Alcatraz consists of a mile and a half swim in the 51 degree waters of the San Francisco Bay (from ‘The Read more…

FitnessA Shower On The Go: Refreshing Action Wipes

Warm summer days are upon us and with them, more sticky sweat–not only working out, but while simply on the go. The Desert Health® team was recently introduced to a refreshing natural solution, Action Wipes. Made with select plant-derived essential oils like tea tree, eucalyptus, and frankincense, Action Wipes are Read more…

Through the GenerationsAllergies for the Aging 101

Millions of us suffer from seasonal allergies; at least one out of every 5 Americans experiences some type of allergic reaction1.The elderly are not exempt from typical allergy symptoms such as runny nose and watery eyes. Additionally, seniors often have complicating factors–such as chronic diseases that make it difficult to Read more…

FitnessSports Conditioning Camps: A Building Block for Healthy Habits

Over the past 20 years, our nation has become a computer-driven, sit-on-the-couch society. The urge to text a friend, write on your Facebook page, or play violent video games has become second nature for our children. Most schools across the country have either eliminated physical education classes past the tenth Read more…

Through the GenerationsIntegrative Approach to Back Pain: A Case Study

I’d like to share a story about a woman with whom I recently worked who was struggling with severe back pain.  We will call her Susan. Susan was diagnosed with herniated discs (disc bulges) as well as spondylolisthesis (vertebrae slipping on each other).  She had excellent medical care with anti-inflammatories, Read more…

Fresh CuisineThe Yard House: Catering to Healthier Palates

People are starting to make healthier choices when it comes to foods that best serve their bodies. Many are choosing vegetarian, paleo, gluten-free, and low carb lifestyles. It’s not uncommon these days to ask for dietary considerations when inviting friends for dinner. And when choosing a place to dine out, Read more…

Desert EventsThe Desert’s World Class Events Attract International Elite

This season, over 200 of the world’s top athletes competed in Valley events for close to $20 million in prize money. World class competitions including the HITS Horse Show (Thermal), USA’s Modern Pentathlon (Palm Springs), Humana Challenge (La Quinta), Kraft Nabisco (Rancho Mirage) and the BNP Paribas Open (Indian Wells) Read more…