Russian Cabbage Rolls with Cauliflower Caraway Rice
Keeping with my low carb meal plan, I would like to share my version of Russian Cabbage Rolls with Cauliflower Caraway Rice. This meal is easy to make, full of flavor and great texture. I call it dee-licious! You can make this recipe with mushrooms in place of any animal protein if desired. Enjoy! I can’t want to hear from you. Your thoughts and ideas of how your rolls turned out are very important to me.
Russian Cabbage Rolls (Serves 4-6 people)
Cabbage Rolls Ingredients:
- 1 head of green napa cabbage
- 1 pound grass-fed minced beef/pork/turkey or 48 ounces organic whole baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 1 large diced onion
- 4-6 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon dry dill weed
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons dill sprigs
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup of 33.5 ounces
Pomi carton tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Red chili flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
Cauliflower Caraway Rice Ingredients:
- 1 large head of cauliflower, largely grated to rice size
- 3 fresh dill sprigs finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
(traditional to taste) or olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Boil cabbage leaves about 2 minutes or until soft. (to remove leaves from the head of cabbage, cut approx. 1/4” off the bottom of the head and place the whole head of cabbage in boiling water. Boil about 2 minutes. Peel off the softened leaves. Place the remaining head back in the boiling water and repeat until all of the leaves are removed. Remove any tough stems from cooked leaves. If you have some smaller leaves and still have filling leftover, just overlap the leaves as needed.
- In a medium-sized frying pan, heat grapeseed oil on a medium flame and add in your chopped onions meat or vegetable of choice, garlic, dry dill weed, salt and pepper to taste. Sauté until brown.
- Add in 1/3 cup of Pomi tomato sauce and stir into the mixture cook for another 5 minutes and set aside. Garish with ½ of the fresh dill and all of the parsley
- In a medium to large casserole dish, pour in the rest of the tomato sauce and season to taste. Add in the rest of the dill in the sauce. Sprinkle with a little red chili flakes (optional). Set aside.
- Thin any thick stem on cabbage leaves. Lay 2-3 cabbage (depending how much cabbage you like it) leaves flat on top of one another and add 1/3 cup filling to the center of the leaves. Fold in the side and roll the cabbage up to form a burrito like roll. Place all rolls seam side down in the pan over the seasoned tomato sauce in casserole dish.
- Spoon some of the sauce in the casserole dish over the rolls to give them more flavor and then cover tightly with foil. Bake in the oven for 60 minutes. Let them cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Cauliflower Caraway Rice
- In a medium frying pan on medium heat add in oil and all ingredients apart from fresh dill sprigs in a frying pan and sauté for 3-5minutes.
- Finish with the fresh dill sprigs and serve.
Dipika is a Holistic Health & Lifestyle Coach who empowers clients to activate a balanced lifestyle of the mind, body and soul. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.