A healthy & hearty winter meal suggestion from the Growers Market family
- 1 lb mixed fresh vegetables, such as celery, zucchini, carrots, young cabbage, spinach
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups vegetable or meat stock
- 2 cups dried pasta (short type)
- 1-14 oz can cooked white beans, such as cannellini, navy, great northern
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
- Rinse all vegetables. Peel carrots. Dice celery, zucchini, carrots and tomatoes. Cut the cabbage or spinach into strips. Peel onion and garlic, chop both finely.
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Stir in onion and garlic and sauté for a minute or so. Add the vegetable or beef stock, mix in veggies and heat to a low boil.
- Simmer the veggies for about 15 minutes over medium-low heat with the lid halfway off. You can block with a wooden spoon if you like.
- Rinse beans in a colander under cold water; discard the liquid in the can. Add the pasta and beans to soup. Simmer for about 10 minutes more or until the pasta is al dente.
- Adjust salt and pepper. Ladle soup into wide bowls, drizzle with remaining oil, and sprinkle with cheese.
Serve with freshly sliced bread and enjoy as a hearty winter meal!
More stories in Fresh Cuisine
It's All About Balance