Fig & Date Coconut Brownies
Superstar figs are full of vitamins and minerals and packed with antioxidants and fiber, supporting the whole body for anti-aging, helping to fight cancer, and treating common illnesses. Fresh figs last seven to ten days after they’re picked, but you can dry them to extend their shelf life and boost some of their nutrients. They are great as a snack, fresh or dried, or added to dishes giving you an interesting nutrient-dense meal. They are very versatile and can be used in salads, stews, drinks, preserves, in desserts (like these delightful brownies!), or as a side dish. You will not be disappointed.
While there is a wealth of wisdom in this glorious fruit, we must be mindful of our own bodies. Individuals with diabetes should be cautious when consuming or using figs for healing, as they can affect glucose levels, and those with skin and other allergies to mulberry (a kin to the fig) must be careful as well.
- ½ cup raw almonds
- ½ cup dried pitted dates
- ½ cup raw organic cacao powder
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- ¼ cup organic coconut sugar (optional for those who do not like the bitterness of cacao; you can use this or crystalized dates)
- ¼ cup light canned coconut milk
- ¼ cup organic coconut shreds
- 5-6 stemmed dried figs
- 2 Tbsp. organic unrefined coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Blend almonds in food processor until ground. Pulse in the dry ingredients (cacao, sugar, salt, and baking soda).
- Next, add the dates, figs, coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut shreds, and blend until you have a smooth batter.
- In a medium bowl, stir applesauce into the batter.
- Grease an 8×8” pan lined with foil and spread batter evenly on the foil.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool about 10 minutes before cutting.
These delightful little treats are great once cooled, but best the next day from the refrigerator. They can last a week in the fridge, but trust me; they won’t make it that long!
Dipika is a holistic health & lifestyle coach who empowers clients to activate a balanced lifestyle of the mind, body and soul. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or www.loveyourlifehealthy.com